When you’re enjoying the crackle and warmth of your wood-burning fireplace, you probably don’t think about the condition of your chimney.
John Balog hopes his story about the added excitement his family experienced Christmas morning will change that.
His neighbor texted him after seeing thick, white smoke billowing from his chimney. Balog ran outside and quickly realized the chimney was on fire!
“When I saw the amount of smoke, I said, ‘This could be really bad,'” said Balog. “That’s where the danger is, especially if you’re sleeping.”
The fire ignited when he added Christmas wrapping paper to his wood-burning stove.
“It started really vroom,” recalled Balog, “and I tell you that it was less…