Residents urged to check chimneys following Kyvalley blaze

 Residents urged to check chimneys following Kyvalley blaze

Kyabram Fire Brigade captain Mick Crompton has urged residents to clean their chimneys and check other heating appliances following a damaging chimney fire in Kyvalley on June 4.

Firefighters from Kyabram and Tongala brigades attended the scene about 8pm with the support of Fire Rescue Victoria crews.

The fire was caused by a build-up of creosote within the chimney area of an old combustion stove in the residence. This caused the chimney to ignite and damage the two-storey structure.

“The main thing for people to do is to get them cleaned regularly,” Cpt Crompton said.

“We take firing up the stove and fireplace for granted in winter, thinking it will be fine.

“Often people aren’t aware of the build-up of birds’ nests (or) creosote, which can happen over time, and cause fires like this one.”

Crews deemed the incident under control just before 11.30pm on June 4.

“Firefighters worked for around an hour extinguishing the fire once the platform appliance had arrived, trying to mitigate damage to the property and stopping the fire from spreading,” Cpt Crompton said.

Once the fire was extinguished, crews were released from the scene after 12.17am on June 5.

Chimney and heating tips:

● Have chimneys cleaned annually and gas heaters inspected and serviced every two years.

● A secure guard or fireproof screen should always be used to prevent sparks and wood from falling out of a fireplace and causing a fire…

Read more…

Related post

contact slider
close slider

    Are you a service provider looking for leads or a client looking for a service provider? Drop us a line!