With police across America for several years now forced to take all manner of abuse — and citizenry getting bolder and bolder — we’re witnessing scenes we couldn’t have imagined even a decade ago.
Like the viral video showing brave souls dumping buckets of water on New York City police officers — and cops having little choice but to simply walk away as they’re doused over and over:
Cuomo And NYPD’s War Of Words Over Water Bucket Incidents
As ridiculous as that scene was nearly two years ago, anti-cop sentiments have seemed to enter new realms, particularly in the wake of rioting after every police-involved encounter since George Floyd’s death last May.
Take the innovator who got the bright idea to record himself on video walking along a row of Portland police officers, flipping off each one of them as he bellowed, “F*** you! Quit your f***in’ job!”
Seriously, here’s the proof. (Content warning: Profanity; middle fingers continually leaving the band and going solo):
What it must be like to be this loser… I don’t wish it on anyone. https://t.co/kVDvXrahAM
— (((Jason Rantz))) on KTTH Radio (@(((Jason Rantz))) on KTTH Radio)1618613670.0
Attempting to count the number of times the guy repeats his enraged mantra is a bit of a challenge. The giggles he caused didn’t help, especially when he seems to get tripped up and falling behind on the beat.
But he appears to make his acquaintance to a total of 22 officers — and he issued double helpings of his shout out to two of them, presumably to make sure he wasn’t forgetting anyone.
How did folks react?
Oh, our friends on Twitter had fun with this fellow, beginning with conservative radio host Jason Rantz, who offered the clip to his followers and concluded, “What it must be like to be this loser… I don’t wish it on anyone.”
Others couldn’t have agreed more:
- “Unemployed, never been employed, never will be employed, and tired of living in mommy’s basement,” one commenter said. “Sounds like a potential mass shooter.”
- “Pathetic,” another user noted.
- “Yeah, the police look REALLY intimidated…” another commenter observed.
- “I guarantee you he would use that same finger to dial 911 in a hurry if someone was threatening him,” another commenter offered. “And guess what…those same officers he’s disrespecting would show up. There’s real bravery (police), and then there’s false bravado (finger waver).”
- “Hilarious,” another user reacted. “Those cops are trying their hardest not to laugh at him.”
- “So brave. So stunning. While knowing full well the officers won’t even acknowledge his existence lol,” another commenter said.
- “Going out on a limb that this guy doesn’t have a f***ing job. Let alone know how to keep one,” another commenter guessed. “Degenerate.”
It appears the officers and protesters were gathered in the vicinity of Lents Park where there was an officer-involved fatal shooting last week. Police said they got a 911 call around 9:30 a.m. Friday about a man with a gun in the park, KATU-TV reported. Officers used less lethal and lethal force, the station said, adding that he was provided medical aid but was pronounced dead at the scene.
Interestingly, the Oregonian deleted a tweet identifying the shooting victim’s race as white following an online uproar.
“The man who was killed was a white male in his 30s, according to three sources with knowledge of the investigation,” the tweet read. “The Oregonian/OregonLive is identifying the man’s race in light of social unrest prompted by police shootings of Black people.”
Some criticized the newspaper for implying the incident wasn’t as serious because the victim wasn’t a minority while others ripped the tweet for lack of support for Black Lives Matter.