Ohio fire marshal, Wooster Fire Department urge home heating caution

 Ohio fire marshal, Wooster Fire Department urge home heating caution

As the temperatures outside begin to fall and people try to warm things up indoors by using alternative heating sources, area fire officials remind the general public to check and clean their chimneys before burning.

A spokesman from Wooster Township Fire Department suggested cleaning the chimney annually before burning anything in a fireplace.

“A lot depends on how much somebody burns,” he said. “What we typically advise occupants when we encounter a chimney fire is, they should have the chimney cleaned and inspected before they burn anything again.”

Colder weather:EMA reminds residents to prep for winter

Holiday season:Gatherings may be different, but it’s still a time to be thankful

The firefighter reports a build-up of creosote in the chimney is often the cause of the fire. Creosote is a category of carbonaceous chemicals formed by the distillation of various tars and pyrolysis of plant-derived material, such as wood or fossil fuel.

Based on the age of the home, the creosote can get into the wall, which is a whole different ball game and can lead to a structure fire as opposed to being contained in the chimney.

"If you’re using a space heater, fireplace or wood-burning stove to stay warm this winter, keep them at least 3 feet from anything that can burn," Ohio Fire Marshal Kevin Reardon said.

State Fire Marshal Kevin Reardon warns not to let the warm temperatures and sunny skies fool you; winter is right around the corner. The Fire Marshal’s website provides suggestions for fire safety and preparedness as the seasons change.

“If you’re using a space heater, fireplace or wood-burning stove to stay warm this winter, keep them at least 3 feet from…

Read more…www.the-daily-record.com

Related post

contact slider
close slider

    Are you a service provider looking for leads or a client looking for a service provider? Drop us a line!