The Hutchinson Landmarks Commission Thursday will take up a request by owners of the historic Stevens Building to make additional modifications to the building on South Main, including adding an in-ground pool.
State historic officials and city staff don’t have any problem with the proposed pool or locating a large shipping container on the property, a memo attached to the meeting agenda indicates.
Officials do, however, object to a plan to replace corrugated metal on the south side of the building at 225 S. Main St. and to frame in seven deteriorating garage doors.
Building owners Scott and Jen Cooley are also proposing to install a set for French doors in one of the garage door bays.
The Cooley’s bought the 47,000-square-foot building in July 2018 and converted a large portion of the building into a salon and day spa. They’re now working on converting the rest of the building into apartments and Airbnb.
Local historians previously reported the south section of the building was constructed in 1876 and is the oldest standing building in Hutchinson.
It was built for the Water Power Company under the organization of town founder C.C. Hutchinson, and Cow Creek used to be diverted alongside the south of the building to turn a water mill.
The building was altered in 1900 and again in 1906, housing the Guyman-Petron Mercantile Co.
The proposed 20-by-40-foot pool would be located in an unused loading yard that’s on the south end of the building.
Since it would be behind an…