In a garage door system, cables assist the spring in lifting the door.
Moreover, they act as a safety mechanism when the garage door springs break unexpectedly.
When these cables become loose or come off the pulley system, they require adjustments.
It is a detailed process that needs the appropriate tools and skills.
If you are considering adjusting them yourself, think again.
As the garage door is under a lot of tension, you should have the proper mindset and skills to do the job.
So that you can analyze whether you can do it or not, Austin Garage Doors prepared this guide on how to adjust garage door cables.
Disconnect the Garage Door from the Opener
As most garage doors are now automatic, it is essential to disconnect the garage door system first from the opener before adjusting the cables.
Follow these steps to disengage your garage door from the opener:
- Using the opener remote device, close the garage door all the way down.
- Don’t force the garage door to close if there is a gap between the door and the ground. It only means that a cable is off its track or uneven.
- Pull the cord hanging from the garage door opener until you hear a click.
Safety Set-Up for Adjustment
Before adjusting the garage door cables, equip yourself with protective gear and follow these steps to set up your working area safely:
- After disengaging the garage door system from the opener, lift the garage door at its maximum height.
- Make sure that the cables are not misaligned or off the pulley…