Kyabram and Tongala CFA crews responded to a chimney fire in a multi-story building on Scobie Rd in Ky Valley around 8pm Friday night.
Due to the difficult location of the chimney, specialist equipment including a ladder platform and pumper was provided by Fire Rescue Victoria Station 73 in Bendigo.
The equipment – particularly the ladder – helped firefighters access the top of the chimney and bring the blaze under control after several hours.
This incident comes only a few days after the CFA urged people to check their fireplaces, chimneys, fireboxes and flutes as the weather grows colder.
Last year, 104 of the 192 chimney fires the CFA and FRV responded to happened in winter.
“Chimney fires can quickly turn into house fires so the few minutes spent now could be one of the most important fire safety actions you take this season,” CFA chief officer Jason Heffernan said.
It is recommended chimneys are cleaned annually to avoid the build up of creosote – a highly flammable black tar-like residue – that clogs chimneys.
Creosote can be built up through general use and by the use of incorrect fuels, like green wood or timber.
To reduce the risk of a fire starting from a fireplace or a wood heater CO Heffernan said it was important to “only burn dry, clean wood.”
Fire Rescue commissioner Ken Block said it was important to check gas heaters are also being used safely and correctly.
”Taking a few moments to…